Hi folks! There was a speed bump in the schedule, but we’re right on track now! And here’s our next wonderful author to visit, Janine Ashbless!
Hi, I’m Janine Ashbless. Usually I write erotica and erotic romance with fantasy or paranormal settings, for people like Black Lace and Ellora’s Cave and Mischief, but Heart of Flame, my first novel from Samhain, is an Arabian Nights fantasy full of monsters and magic and djinn … and okay, yes: romance. Quite hot romance. I just can’t stop myself, can I? But it’s crammed with swashbuckling adventure too, I promise!
1. Who was your first author crush and why?Ummm … Tolkien, I guess, when I was a kid. Because, clearly, the world he wrote about was WAY better than the real one. I once decided to copy out the whole of The Silmarillion by hand … *headsdesk*
2. What was your first clue you were a writer? In our primary school yearbook from when I was nine, there were photos of all of us and the class teacher had written a caption beneath each portrait. The one she wrote for me was “You’ll be reading my novels one day!” So yes, I think the people around me knew, even if I didn’t … (Hey, I thought I was going to be an animal doctor and live on a ranch full of wild horses.)
3. What are some of your writer-esque quirks? Nothing really weird, honest … I play one game of Tetris before every writing session. I tend to get story inspiration while showering. If I’m wrestling with an idea in the morning, I’ll have a shower and then lie wrapped in my wet towel on the bathroom floor until I’ve got it sorted. Don’t ask me why it should be the bathroom floor – it’s not particularly comfortable!
4. Finish this joke: A clown, a priest and a writer all get onto an elevator…
and it starts to plummet 180 floors to the bottom of the shaft. The priest prays – “Lord! Save us! We repent of our sins!” The clown goes pale, but says “Hey, I’ve lived a full life and made people happy, this isn’t so bad a way to end it.” The writer gets out a little notebook and starts scribbling. As they reach floor 10, still falling, the priest breaks off praying to ask the writer, “Are you writing a will? Think of Eternity instead!” The writer says, “I am. I’m taking notes on this, in case I can use the situation in a novel.”
5. Speed round: Without giving it too much thought, pick which one you favour over the other:
Chocolate or flowers: Chocolate!
Talk or Text: Talk
Mountains or Beach: Mountains
Cowboy or Marine: Cowboy, I guess…
Wine or Beer: Wine
Cats or Dogs: Dogs
Ebooks or Paperbacks: Paperbacks
Pantser or Plotter: Pantser
Batman or Superman: Batman without a doubt
Ability to fly or Power to be invisible: Flying J
Prius or Hemmie: Huh?
Follow the rules or Break the rules: Follow the rules – can’t help it L
TV or Movies: Movies
NY or LA: Neither – SF!
Vampires or Angels: Vampires
Fall or Spring: Spring
Neat or Messy: Messy
Werewolf or Genie: Genie
Tell jokes or Pull pranks: Tell jokes
Home cooked meals or Go out to a restaurant: Restaurant